5 Real Ways to Get a Job in Nigeria (Remote or Onsite)

 

Hello Online Diary, Your Girl Just Secured Another Bag πŸ’ΌπŸ’°

Your girl has gotten another stream of income, and I’m grateful!
My last entry was filled with mixed emotions from stress to uncertainty. But this week? My table turned. Big time.
I won't share all the juicy wins just yet (why is it easier to share pain than joy, though?). Maybe it's the fear of jinxing it. Maybe it's me being very security conscious because I have been robbed once before. Either way, I'm learning to sit in my good moments without guilt.

Now that I’m in this new season, I thought: why not share how I got here?

Whether you're job hunting in Nigeria or aiming for a remote role abroad, these 5 strategies can actually help you get hired in this tough market. This isn't a motivational speech. It's a living experience where I used to get my remote jobs and on-site jobs.


5 Real Ways to Get a Job in Nigeria (Remote or Onsite)


1. Think Like a Brand — Because You Are One

One shift that changed everything for me was adopting a brand mindset.
Not just a job seeker, not just a CV  , a brand.
My end goal is to be a content creator, and like my mum always says: Mfon, 'You can’t give what you don’t have." So yes, there’s “fake it till you make it,” but you better have something real to back it up when the spotlight comes.

Package yourself. Show up consistently for you, not them or the job, but you. Look the part till you become the part. Brands grow through reputation and routine. The same applies to job hunting and personal development. You can use my 3 non-negotiables, which I have written extensively here. 


2. Update Your CV and Your Skills Regularly

I can boldly tell you: the Mfon of 2025 now is packed with knowledge than Mfon of 2024, in 2024, I didnt understand the concept of value and time management, the joy in a schedule and routine, and mundane things.  Mfon of year 2020 will rejoice in spontaneity and let's see how it goes lifestyle, but the Mfon of 2025 has more knowledge and depth from consistent skill upgrade and dependency on God. I am still owing myself this year 3 certifications, and I know I will figure it out, not cause I want to, but cause I need to, the need to upskill is a necessity. 

How to build your resume

Skills open doors, even before a CV does.

Update your CV at least once a year. Add new courses, Relearn things, and Redraft old formats. Even if you don’t land a job immediately, you’re preparing for the one you actually want. I like to think that every new skill = a new version of you.




3. See Job Hunting as a Numbers Game

This one is straight from my sales brain: the more people you reach, the better your odds.

Want to work with HNIs (High network individuals )? Go where they go. Want to get into media, tech, or fashion? Find their events, forums, and circles.
Same with jobs — don’t stop at LinkedIn. Hit Jobberman, Indeed, MyJobMag, Google Jobs, and yes, Telegram and WhatsApp groups too.

And please, don’t cry after applying for just 30 jobs. This is Nigeria, you’re competing with thousands/millions of people in the same category, either better, as good, or worse than you. Fortunately, you are different and special to God naturally, but you’re not that special — yet. But you can make yourself special with strategy and persistence.



4. Read the Job Description Like Your Life Depends on It 

One mistake I’ve made? Adding skills to my CV that I barely understood.

Never list tools like Jira, Asana, Trello, Zoho CRM, or Notion unless you’ve actually used them  or you're willing to learn fast.
Recruiters will ask on the spot , and you will freeze or lie, or say the truth that you don't know, and that is an automatic disqualification.

I always aim to tick at least 4 out of the 7 required skills in any job spec. That gives me a fighting chance. So study the description, tailor your CV, and highlight the right strengths.


5. Be a People Person — Especially at Interviews

I know interviews can be nerve-wracking. But think about this:
Actors make us cry, laugh, and believe every scene. Why? Because they embody their roles.

That’s what you need to do.

Walk into that room like you're already part of the team. This isn't about pretending — it's about showing confidence backed by competence. Like my former boss used to say:

“The only time you feel small in a room is when you come in unprepared.”

So prep and read about the company, go further to check out the branch and location of the company you are applying to, practice your interview questions and any curve ball they may throw, and lastly but most importantly, show up to the interview on time. You got this.


Oh, Smile and tell yourself daily: You are amazing. Seriously, say it out loud right now.




Final Thoughts — You Deserve the Life You Want

If you’re still in the waiting season, please don’t lose hope. I was there recently.
But job hunting in Nigeria isn’t impossible — it just requires a blend of strategy, patience, and personal growth. I can tell you with certainty,  this worked for me and has worked for the friends I recommended this strategy to, and got amazing job offers. If we can do it, then you can do it too.

Now go out there, be your own brand, apply like crazy, and level up your skills.
One “yes” can change  the remaining half of the  year.


Thanks again for reading 

Let me know if this worked for you , wishing you good luck in your applications 

All my Love 

Mfon 

Comments