5 Things I Did to Beat High Blood Pressure (From 185/110 to 114/88!)
By Mfon Ukim | Thriving With Mfon
Hey Online Diary,
This week, I feel good, calm and peaceful. But last week was one of those funny weeks the kind where you sit down and say, “God, this isn’t the plan but I trust you.”
If you’ve been following my blog, you know I’m a dreamer. I mean that literally — God speaks to me through dreams. When I listen to my spirit, I’m guided, even when things feel chaotic. Back in April, I received a spiritual prompting that from May 13th till my birthday on June 23rd, it would be a blessed season. But trust me, the way that season started? Nothing like I expected. Instead, I was dealing with loss, uncertainty, and anxiety.
Firstly, I had to resign from a consulting role due to differences, and the aftermath felt confusing as I had just started making room for the role. Then a deal I was expecting to close within the month of May ,one that I along with my team have been working on for months fell through.
Secondly, my phone spoilt during a week , where I was put in charge of multiple projects, n worries I moved on , but just as I was finding my footing, I got a message from an old colleague that broke me — a female manager that we both worked with had collapsed and died at work due to high blood pressure. She had finished her shift by 6pm and was working a little late after work and never made it home from there.
We spoke at length on how the Female manager , never took her BP issues serious nor shared it with her colleagues in depth the gravity of her health situation . But it struck me deeply, because I had been where she was.
Just last year, my BP was reading 185/110. Yes, you read that right.
I had what they call a transient ischemic attack a mini-stroke warning, disguised as dizziness. That day changed everything. I was forced to slow down, Rest and Reevaluate, today after 7 months of change of diet, working style, praying, exercise and committing to growth . My BP currently reads 114/88. Thank you Jesus.
So let me share 5 things I did to bring my high blood pressure down and some hard truths that might nudge you back into balance too.
πΏ 1. I Moved More — Even When I Didn’t Feel Like It
No gym? No problem. I started walking. 2 to 5km a day. I added light cardio, deep breathing, stretching, and yoga at home. Some days, I danced to Afrobeat in my room, with Brazilian funk exercises and grow with job, among others ,just remember to move daily. Even when I regained 2.7kg recently, I kept going. Movement isn’t a punishment. It’s a gift.
Let’s be real — I am dating a man from the tribe of “if pepper no choke, is it really food?” Yoruba ,But I had to slow down. I swapped salty cubes for herbs, reduced processed snacks and started making my own, and gradually retrained my taste buds to like soups , and salads . Which is not easy, especially when everyone around me still eats spicy and in huge quantities like it’s a sport — but the retrain is worth it.
π©πΎ⚕️ 3. I Took the Doctor’s Advice Seriously
When my doctor looked me in the eye and said, “Sister, if you don’t change now, your future will be full of unnecessary pain,” it cut deep. I was put on BP meds for a while and monitored closely. Don’t fear checkups. You can’t heal what you won’t acknowledge. Take your drugs regularly as needed but don't get dependent on them , regular checkup will assist with this
π 4. I Added BP-Friendly Fruits Weekly
I started rotating fruits like watermelon, cucumber, oranges, lemon water, ginger, and when I could find them beets and pomegranates. These fruits hydrate, flush out sodium, and improve circulation. You don’t need a fridge full of them just consistency of eating fruits and greens weekly.
π§πΎ♀️ 5. I Chose Peace and Community Over Pressure
There is a time for everything and sometimes, we just have to make time. If you keep saying, “I don’t have time,” you’ll end up with a health crisis that makes time for you.
I’m lucky , I have a community that cares. My boyfriend has been my biggest cheerleader in this journey. He studied with me, walked with me, reminded me to rest. We kept each other accountable. I also have an online growing community and if you’re reading this, you’re now part of it too.
Lastly ππΎ My Faith Was My Anchor
Let me be clear — nothing has kept me sane like the peace of God.
“And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” — Philippians 4:7
“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” — Isaiah 26:3
“Only the living can praise the Lord, as I do today.” — Isaiah 38:19
These are some of the verses held me together. I cried. I prayed. I fasted. I worshipped in silence. I reminded myself every day that I open my eye is a day to make a mark , rest , sell , etc. only if I am alive, then I still have a chance.
❤️ Choose You — Every Time
Taking care of yourself doesn’t start with your job, your friends, or even your family. It starts with you.
You don’t need to be perfect just present.
Progress is better than paralysis. Please, readjust and make it work. Your body, mind, and spirit are begging you to care.
Let me know in the comment sections: What lifestyle changes have you made for your health? and how are you dealing with high BP or trying to avoid the spike? Drop your thoughts in the comments and also for those with low BP , I will also love to hear from you and how its going .
All my Love
Mfonπ
#HighBloodPressure #FaithAndHealing #LifestyleChange #HealthyLiving #HeartHealth #ThrivingWithMfon #SelfCare #BlackHealthMatters






Comments
Post a Comment