If Iron Sharpens Iron – Then Who Sharpens You?
Hello, avid readers! Did you miss me? For the past two weeks, I’ve been silent, and it’s simply because I’ve been trying to realign with my goals. It’s amazing how being in a structured routine keeps you grounded, but the moment you step out—whether for a little fun or just a break—you can easily slip. And I did slip. The first week, I was completely off course. I was trying to get back on track this second week, and it's been tough. But here we are last day of the week, writing again, proving to ourselves that we can stay the course, even in stormy weather.
The Disruption: A Reality Check
“Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17) This passage hit me differently these past two weeks. Something I’ve always loved doing—an activity I’ve been accustomed to for years—felt different this time. I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting along with it like before. Why was I suddenly irritable? Why was I reacting to things that never used to bother me?
Then it hit me—my past self and my future self were clashing. I’ve been so intentional this year, down to the smallest details. I budget, I plan my movements, I monitor what I put into my body, and I dedicate two hours daily to studying data science. My days are filled with growth activities. And yet, when I stepped away from that routine, chilling felt like an issue.
The Domino Effect
It wasn’t anyone’s fault. I just didn’t realize how certain habits had a cause-and-effect relationship. For example, my bad habit of eating late and at odd hours came back. Stress triggered it, and before I knew it, all I wanted to do was eat—especially bread. I was seeking comfort because I couldn’t fully grasp what was going on with me.
This made me realize another hard truth: when you’re not where you want to be or in situations that align with your goals, you become irritable, restless, and easily triggered. I started engaging in arguments, reacting to things I usually ignored, and mentally blocking myself from doing what I needed to do. Even my book writing suffered. My old self was creeping back, getting stronger because I had paused the very things that were keeping me grounded.
Taking Control: The Need for Iron
At that moment, I had to stop and tell myself, “This isn’t working for me.” It might sound selfish, but real growth often happens in isolation. I needed an iron to sharpen me—not situations that drained me. This led me to another realization: Who is sharpening me?
When people mention my name, who do they associate me with? Who do I walk with? What influences me daily? During my morning devotion, this was a major question that stuck with me.
Think about it—warriors train with warriors, athletes surround themselves with other high performers, and billionaires have clubs where they exchange ideas. Every important person has a circle that pushes them towards their goals. And this was part of my goal this year—to expand my circle and put myself in environments that push me to grow.
This past week showed me that I need iron in my life, and I’m not wrong for fighting complacency. Growth is intentional, and comfort can be a silent killer of progress.
The Battle Between Old and New Habits
As I sit here, slightly constipated from late-night eating (lol), I can say it’s still progress. At least I’m not eating as recklessly as I was last week. Even with one mistake, I’m still pushing forward, currently writing after this workout, praying, and reading then jumping into my tasks for the day. Last week, I kept making excuses, talking aimlessly, and struggling to focus. Every time I replaced what I needed to do with distractions, it showed—in my attitude, my food choices, my energy levels.
In just two weeks, I exercised only four times, battled mental exhaustion, and even my motivation took a hit. It’s funny how when you’re idle, you get tired more easily. So when I finally dragged myself back into the routine, breaking the bad habits was harder. Just one week of not being intentional almost created a new reality for me—one I had left behind.
My Iron: The Pillars That Sharpen Me
I’ve realized my sharpening tools: my Bible, exercise, and reading. These things equip me with the confidence and peace to take on my goals—whether it’s selling properties worldwide, speaking to millionaires with reassurance, or just showing up as my best self. But what about my inner circle?
The truth is, my main people aren’t physically close to me. They are amazing and supportive, but we’re all still figuring things out. I need a growth-driven community. I initially thought I’d find that at church, but I didn’t realize becoming a church worker meant taking on another job-like commitment—one I’m not ready for, we will write on this another time but the church is a different ball game In Nigeria, one that Im understanding is also imperfect in its standing but like I said another topic for another day.
Final Thoughts: The Constant Need for Sharpening
We all need iron to sharpen us. If the people and situations around you aren’t stretching your mind for growth in meaningful ways, you need to step back and reassess. Growth is constant, and complacency is a slow death.
So I ask you, who sharpens you?






Very inspiring keep it up
ReplyDeleteThank you very much
Delete