Level Up Your Resume with ChatGPT: Using What You Have to Get What You Want in 2025"
Let’s be real: the job market is a war zone. You send out application after application, but somehow, your inbox remains as dry as the Sahara. I know this struggle personally. A single corporate job opening receives an average of 250 applications (Glassdoor), yet only a handful sometimes as few as 4-6 candidates make it to the interview stage.
Worse, over 80% of resumes don’t even get past the first screening, and only 1 in 10 applicants get in front of a hiring manager (Workopolis). I had to ask myself: Mfon what's going on ? Why am I not making it through? I knew I had the skills, the experience, and the drive. But clearly, my CV wasn’t selling me well enough. I wasn’t playing the game right.
Like most Nigerians who don’t have the cash to pay someone to “repackage” their CV, I had to do what I do best—use what I had to get what I wanted. And that’s where ChatGPT became my bestie.
The Resume Glow-Up Process
I took a step back and strategized. Instead of blaming the job market or recruiters, I focused on the things I could control. Here’s exactly how I turned my weak CV into a strong one:
Researched 2024 Resume Templates
A simple Google search led me to updated resume formats that work well with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS).
I reviewed various options and noted common patterns in design, font usage, and content structure.
Chose a Strong Format
I picked a clean, ATS-friendly template—nothing too fancy, just well-structured and easy to read.
Used ChatGPT for Content Optimization
I started with:
“Hey ChatGPT, here’s my current CV. Can you optimize it to match modern resume standards?”I uploaded my existing CV alongside a sample template for reference.
ChatGPT generated a cleaner, more structured version with improved keyword placement.
Added Power Keywords
I made sure to include industry-specific keywords, knowing that 75% of resumes get rejected simply because they lack the right words (Gitnux).
ChatGPT helped identify which skills and job-specific phrases would help my CV pass the ATS filters.

Formatted the CV Properly
I copied the ChatGPT-generated content into Google Docs and cleaned it up.
For a polished look, I also tried Canva’s free resume templates, editing them to match my personal brand.
Final Edits and Personalization
I ensured that my personal voice still came through. The goal wasn’t to sound robotic but to make my achievements stand out.
And just like that, my CV went from bland to boss-level. I get asked these questions a lot now you know my secret.
Beyond Job Applications: Using What You Have to Get What You Want
The idea of using what you have applies to more than just resumes. It’s a survival strategy I’ve used across different areas of my life, from career transitions to fitness and personal growth.
- Career Pivot: From Real Estate to EdTech
I started in real estate, a solid and lucrative industry. But as much as I respected it, my passion for personal development, sales, and education kept nudging me towards something else. That “something” turned out to be EdTech, a field that has completely changed how I see business, learning, and automation.
I had an idea of what EdTech was, but I had no clue just how vast and game-changing it was. Through Imovarsity, I was introduced to the power of online courses, automation in learning, and how project management tools are evolving with AI. There’s a basic level of knowledge, and then there’s industry expertise—I’m on my way to becoming the latter, simply because I kept learning and using what I had to get ahead.
- Fitness: Losing Weight Without a Gym Membership
The first time I lost weight drastically (from size 18 to size 12), I had access to a trainer, a gym membership, and a comfortable salary in Lekki. Life was good. But guess what? I gained all that weight back and more. Why? Stress eating and zero structure.
By the time I decided to take my health seriously again, gym fees had doubled (₦50,000/month from ₦25,000) and personal trainers were quoting me ₦100,000 for private sessions. No way. I didn’t have that kind of money, so I had to be creative.
Instead of a step tracker or smartwatch, I just made sure to walk for 30 minutes daily.
No dumbbells? No problem. I used building blocks and filled water bottles as weights.
No treadmill? The stairs in my house became my personal cardio machine.
I followed free workout videos online instead of paying for expensive programs and got a workout mat and gloves (optional)
And guess what? The weight started coming off again. All because I worked with what I had instead of focusing on what I lacked.
Final Thoughts: Hustle Smart, Not Just Hard
Too often, we think success requires having connections, money, or privilege. But what if you flipped the script and just used what you have right now?
You don’t need a paid CV review when ChatGPT, Canva, and Google Docs exist.
You don’t need a gym membership when you have stairs, bodyweight exercises, and YouTube tutorials.
You don’t need to know “big people” to grow your career at least where you at now—just ask for help, network online, and invest in free/affordable learning resources.
Trust me, the more you use these principles, when the opportunities you want come to you,: You will be vastly ready for it because of who you have become.
I’ve applied this principle in my career shifts, job applications, fitness, and even financial decisions. It’s not about having it all; it’s about using what you have to get what you want.
So, if you’re sitting there wondering how to get to the next level, start looking around you. What do you already have that can get you moving today? That’s your real superpower.
Thanks for reading as always, it is amazing how never giving up on yourself is the best remedy for combating depression and complacency. For job seekers, let me know if you need any help following these steps and you can also use chat gtp for your cover letter with these steps.
With All My LOVE
Mfon.
Let me know if this write-up was helpful in the comments section !!

.jpg)







Comments
Post a Comment