Money, Network, Image: The Only Way to Win in Nigeria


Nigeria has an incredible ability to endure, adapt, and repeat history. Time and again, the same patterns unfold, proving that money, power, and influence dictate everything. One of the most striking examples of this is the 1993 presidential election—the so-called freest and fairest in Nigeria’s history—where MKO Abiola’s victory was annulled by General Ibrahim Babangida (IBB). This event, like many others in our history, highlighted the painful truth that in Nigeria, the rich and powerful always win.

Recently, IBB made revelations (or rather confirmations) about the realities of that period, bringing back painful memories of another moment in our history: the End SARS protests of October 2020. Thousands of Nigerian youths took to the streets to demand an end to police brutality, particularly the unlawful actions of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). The response? Allegedly, the Nigerian army opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate—a moment that was recorded live by DJ Switch. Till today, allegedly the government denies any wrongdoing, and no one knows who gave the order. DJ Switch, like many others who spoke out, was allegedly forced into exile, Allegedly.



My Personal Experience on October 20, 2020

I remember that day vividly. My dad called me, concerned:


"Mfon, I hope you are not going for this protest."


I replied, "I’m not going today, but I’m thinking about it."


He insisted, "Don’t go. Nigeria isn’t a place for such."

I wanted to go with my close friend, but another warning from their family made us reconsider. That night, I sat at home and watched in horror as gunshots rang out, and my fellow Nigerians screamed for their lives in real-time on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Lagos descended into chaos for 48 hours.


Thieves and street boys clashed with the police, retaliating for years of brutality. My police division was attacked, and after an entire night of gun battles, our estate had to organize a makeshift security detail—basically, men with knives and wooden sticks, because of the strict gun laws in Nigeria we had no better protection. It was terrifying. I was ready to run because, in emergencies, staying in one place is often a death sentence.


Yet, after all this, the government allegedly denied the massacre ever happened, refused to take accountability, and moved on like nothing happened. Five years later, no justice has been served. Instead, we are met with more pain, more oppression, and more silence.




The Cycle of Power, Money and Image

Ex-President IBB’s recent comments about Biafra and the truth about Nigeria’s past are nothing shocking. They simply confirm what many of us already know: in Nigeria, money talks. Whether people love you or hate you, they will always respect your wealth. Justice, fairness, and accountability? Those are luxuries for the powerless.

I once believed in karma—that the wicked/unjust reap what they sow. But looking at Nigeria, I realize that only the poor suffer consequences. The wealthy? They rewrite history, dictate narratives, and continue to thrive regardless of their actions.


Surviving Nigeria with; The 3 Gems

If you want to survive and thrive in Nigeria, you need three things:


  • Money – It opens doors, protects you, and gives you a voice.


  • Network – Who you know matters more than what you know.


  • Image – Perception is the reality in Nigeria; being seen as important is as powerful as being important.

Without these three gems, Nigeria will use you and discard you. I’ve learned this the hard way. I’ve been sued, called to police stations, and had the system work against me because I lacked these three essentials. My only saving grace was my network, and even that was not enough at times.

Many activists who fight the "good fight" understand this too. They play the game, ensuring they remain relevant, influential, and protected.



Final Thoughts

I read a post on Instagram where someone mentioned that a self-contained room in Lagos now costs 500,000 naira in rent—the same amount our parents used to buy land and build houses decades ago. This is the reality of Nigeria today.

So what is the takeaway of this article?


  • Leave Nigeria and its problems if you can.
  • If you choose to stay, focus on yourself, acquire the three gems, and play the game wisely.
  • Always have receipts—but know that in Nigeria, receipts don’t always guarantee justice.
  • Avoid trouble. If you must fight, ensure you have the status and influence to protect yourself.

Nigeria has taught me many lessons, but the most important one is this: The rich and affluent always win, and the system favors those who play it well. And in the off chance they won't win the fight they can and will relocate to a beach somewhere or a 3rd world country with no extraditions.


Whether you fight or flee, ensure you are equipped to survive in or outside Nigeria.


Thanks for reading—I would love to hear your thoughts and how Endsars was for you. 


Also, grab your copy of Divorced in Lagos !!! on Amazon click the link


here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DXQHRXJJ or shop directly here : 

https://ukimmfon.systeme.io/ab6f149b

Comments