From One Chance to Many Paths: The Lagos Edition




Have you ever failed? I'm guessing you have. I don’t think I have ever met a Nigerian youth who hasn't tried at least four different business ideas. Some took off, some reshaped, and mostly others failed. The truth is, most Nigerian young adults between the ages of 14 (yes, I know they’re teenagers, but in Nigeria, many are already working) and 40 are making money in more than two ways. If a teenager isn’t in school due to financial constraints, they’re already figuring out ways to make money outside of what their parents or relatives provide.

For young adults aged 20-40, the hustle is even more intense. Most have multiple jobs, working tirelessly just to make ends meet in Nigeria. Which most of the time is not even enough for them let alone assist their families.  I recently got into the tech space and Initially, I didn’t plan to; I was doing well in real estate and interior design  I’m a great salesperson and can read people well, so I was thriving—until I wasn’t.


The One Chance Reality

During my first year in business, I handled impressive projects, even landing one in Banana Island Ikoyi, Lagos. It was an exciting start, and I thought the sky was the limit. Then reality hit—one chance. We’ll discuss the concept of ‘one chance’ (a Nigerian term for scams and dangerous setups) and insecurity later, but let’s just say Nigeria is not as safe as it once was.

Fast-forward through a messy two years, and I found myself in a deep depression, contemplating suicide. But I’ve always had a weird way of processing pain. I couldn’t bring myself to do it because I kept thinking, What if I don’t die well and come back crippled? (Shoutout to all the disabled people reading this—you’re amazing.) That thought alone kept me going. I lost a lot—not just money but also my confidence, my reputation, and my sense of self.

Thankfully, I had a small but strong support system that helped me navigate those two years. The ‘one chance’ incident happened in 2022, and it took everything from me. I went from being a budding entrepreneur to being buried under square one. I couldn’t understand what my next move should be.


Reinventing Myself: The Shift to Tech

If you know me, you know I love systems. Last-minute plans don’t work for me. I’m not spontaneous or a ‘go with the flow’ person. I like structure. I had a clear business direction, and then, bam, everything was taken away in a single event.

I was left with two choices: either rebuild in real estate (which I wasn’t ready for) or find another way. Interior design needed capital, which I didn’t have. That left my previous experience in business development as my career path.

I started working again, but it wasn’t easy. I dealt with sales teams that wanted me to fail because I was younger and got promoted over their preferred candidate. I worked under toxic bosses who didn’t value my input despite my knowledge of the Nigerian market. I managed stressful projects that spiked my blood pressure to dangerous levels. But through all of it, I formulated a new plan: Tech through Business Development and Data Analytics.

From completing my degree in Digital Marketing to applying for remote jobs to refining my digital skills, I began building my new career path. I sold personal belongings just to survive. It was a dark time, but I learned a critical lesson: Use what you have to get what you want. 

Now, I’m diving deep into Excel and Data Analytics. Two years ago, I couldn’t even sit in an office for six hours without having anxiety attacks. Now, I lead teams and take ownership of my career.

I’m also involved with Imovarsity, an EdTech platform designed to bridge the skills gap and empower learners. It aligns with my belief in personal growth and development, and I couldn’t be prouder to be part of it.


Check them out here, it is an amazing platform to upskill https://www.imovarsity.com/

The Smart Hustle: Lessons from My Journey

The past few years have reshaped my entire outlook on work. There’s a saying, Do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life. That’s only half the truth. Making money isn’t just about passion—it’s about strategy. The smartest way to ensure you can do what you love is to follow those who already know the road.


I have a friend who’s a key figure in organizing Invictus, a competition honoring Nigerian military veterans. He always told me, "Mfon, leave the business and focus on tech. You are very good in social media and sales, tech is the future". Back then, I was doing well, so I ignored him. But when everything collapsed, I realized he was right. So I pivoted, leveraged my degree, built new skills, and surrounded myself with ambitious people.

Now, I’m using my writing as an expression but another income stream and exploring YouTube to document my weight loss journey and personal growth. The lesson? If thousands of people can make it, then so can I. 

Takeaways: How to Work Smart, Not Hard in Lagos


  • Step out of your comfort zone. Growth doesn’t happen in familiar places. Try something new that aligns with your skills and interests.


  • Embrace technology. The world is digital. There are numerous ways to make sustainable money—tech skills are highly in demand, I used to keep an earning of Data science professionals earned in dollars go check the earning potential to give you a jolt of realism that you are sleeping.

  • Real wealth takes time. Get-rich-quick schemes will always exist, but genuine financial stability is built over time.


  • Always have a fallback plan. If one path doesn’t work out, ensure you have another skill or income stream to rely on. I four broke, you will know who dey for you finally, and it's a bad experience, 


  • Keep improving yourself. The more valuable you are, the more opportunities you attract.


  • Position yourself strategically. Be useful in every circle, especially among influential people. Connections matter.


  • Always bring value. In everything you do, strive to add value—to your work, your family, and your community. Those who create value are the ones who are remembered for great positions and jobs.


  • Never stop learning. Take courses, read, and surround yourself with people who are constantly growing.


At the end of the day, Lagos isn’t just about hustling—it’s about hustling smart. And trust me, that makes all the difference you need. You can see more Tech jobs and their earnings below this was a very good motivator for me, I had this screenshot as my wallpaper on my phone and system for the straight 2 years I was figuring it out, and this helped me know I would soon be earning like this, I hope it assists you too on your journey.


Thanks for reading guys! let me know your comments and thoughts on this in the comment section.


Also, grab your copy of Divorced in Lagos !!! on Amazon click the link here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DXQHRXJJ  or shop directly here: https://ukimmfon.systeme.io/ab6f149b















Comments

  1. Great work dear. … Lagos troubles makes you stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does , but sometimes I wonder is all the trouble necessary ?

      Delete

Post a Comment